Surprising Thoughts on Social Media – Interview with Justin Wise
Justin Wise – Communications Strategist
Justin Wise is the Communications Director for Monk Development. After seven years on staff at the largest Lutheran church in America, Justin now helps churches and ministries develop a simple and effective social media and web strategy. A proud husband and dad, Justin and his family live in Des Moines, Iowa. When not running, reading, or cooking, find him blogging at JustinWise.net or on Twitter.
Video Notes -
Question: What are the greatest challenges facing church communication leaders?
- Being a Communications Leader.
- The ability to identify and communicate the mission of church both internally and externally.
Question: How can churches develop a holistic social media strategy to engage their audiences?
- Do not start with social media.
- Social media is the “cherry-on-top”. Social media is a piece of the entire communications strategy, not the strategy.
- Start with Identifying Organizational Big Idea. Then develop holistic communications strategy. Then create online communications strategy. Finally, add social media to the mix.
Question: How can churches improve the way they use email communications?
- Keep it simple. Nobody reads long emails. In fact, they only read 20% of what is front of their eyes.
- Use good design, simple content and always include a call-to-action link.
Question: What excites you the most about the future of church communications?
- The idea that culture would look to churches to learn how to communicate with audiences.
What section of the video interview was most beneficial to you?